I’m trying something new this trimester. I’m going to be using my website as a go-to place for resources and daily agendas, like I have tried in the past, but I’m also going to try to incorporate the blog part of the website. Right now the plan for the blog portion is a little rough, so it’ll be kind of growing as we go through the trimester, but I see it being a place for discussion, a place for you to put your thoughts about an idea, and a place for learning to happen. Sometimes I’ll have blog posts for you to read and respond to, like today, and other times there may be a video or picture but I want to try and give another option for you to share your ideas and let your voice be heard.
I also plan to add a page of additional resources for each unit. Those resources would include videos (not just Khan Academy) and other websites that might help you if you need a little extra instruction and you can’t get in to meet with me outside of class time. I wish I could say I would be able to talk to each and every one of you everyday in class, but sometimes that just isn’t the case!
NOW, LETS GET INTO THE ACTUAL CLASS MATERIAL AND THINGS WE WILL DO DURING CLASS TIME.
In class, there will be times that we do work in groups or pairs and there will be times when you can work individually. In general, groups are usually your table groups but there will be times that I assign random groups and even a few times where I may allow you to choose your own groups.
You will also need to have a notebook or binder with paper for this class. When we take notes in class I expect you to use those as a resource to help you with assignments and to study for the test. If it is important enough for me to write on the board or put on a slide, then it is probably important enough for you to put in your notes.
Your performance grades that show up in PowerSchool will be standards based, so I believe it is important for you to know what those standards are before we start. (See list below for unit 1) Pay specific attention to the statements in blue!
UNIT 1: EXTENDING THE NUMBER SYSTEM
- Standard N.RN.1: Explain how the definition of the meaning of rational exponents follows from extending the properties of integer exponents to those values, allowing for a notation for radicals in terms of rational exponents.
- I can explain the definition of a rational exponent.
- I can extend the properties of integer exponents to rational exponents.
- Standard N.RN.2: Rewrite expressions involving radicals and rational exponents using the properties of exponents.
- I can apply the properties of radicals to rewrite radical expressions and expressions with rational exponents.
- Standard A.APR.1: Understand that polynomials form a system analogous to the integers, namely, they are closed under the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication; add, subtract, and multiply polynomials.
- I can add polynomials.
- I can subtract polynomials.
- I can multiply polynomials.
HOPEFULLY THIS GIVES YOU A LITTLE IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ME IN CLASS AND WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO STUDY FOR THE FIRST UNIT.
AS ALWAYS IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!
Now, your assignment. In a comment below, tell me:
- What are you thoughts/feeling about using my website as a place for you to respond to blog posts/class discussions/videos/etc?
- Were there any words or phrases in my post that you don’t know or understand? What are they? (Be specific!)
- When you look at the list of topics that will be covered in unit 1, which ones do you feel like you might already know something about? What do know about those things?
- When you look at the list of topics that will be covered in unit 1, which ones do you feel are brand new ideas that you haven’t studied before?
- After reading this post, what are you most concerned about? Least concerned about?
- Do you have any questions for me? (About class or about me personally)